This is my favorite minestrone soup recipe. Perfect comfort food on a cold winters night. A crusty peasant bread, rounds this meal in a bowl. Simple to change the mood of the night.
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped, small)
- 3 zucchini (diced)
- 1 cup green beans (frozen cut italian cut)
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 garlics cloves (smashed)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (i am fine with chicken, mom is not)
- 32 oz grano padano tomatoes (chopped)
- 16 oz kidney beans (red, drained)
- 16 oz white beans (great northern, drained)
- 3 carrots chopped small
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 3 cups hot water
- 4 cups baby spinach (fresh)
- 1/2 cup shell pasta
- Heat three tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Saute onion, celery, carrot, garlic, green beans, and zucchini in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add vegetable broth to pot, plus drained tomatoes, beans, hot water, and spices.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes
- Add spinach leaves and pasta and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Top with Parmesan cheese
Mangia il mio amico!